Winners will attend one-day clinic with Gretzky & Wickenheiser

MISSISSAUGA, ON, Oct. 8 /CNW/ - In Canada, hockey is not simply a sport; it lies at the very heart of what it means to be Canadian. As a long-time supporter of hockey and to help build excitement around Canada's quest for gold in February, Samsung is about to give 15 youth (ages seven to 14) from across the country the opportunity to attend a one-day hockey clinic with Wayne Gretzky and Hayley Wickenheiser.

The Samsung Hockey Camp for Kids, will be held in Calgary in November and will give some of Canada's young hockey fans the opportunity to spend a day with two of the game's greats. The 15 hockey fanatics plus one parent chaperone will win an expense-paid trip to Calgary to enjoy a day of skills and drills run by Wickenheiser, Gretzky and Hockey Canada coaches. While full details about the prize package are available on the contest website, it will also include a welcome gift, breakfast and a motivational speech from Wickenheiser and many additional elements.

"Samsung is thrilled to offer this once-in-a-lifetime experience for 15 deserving young hockey fans," said Benjamin Lee, President and CEO, Samsung Electronics Canada. "Samsung has a long-standing commitment to hockey through our relationship with Hockey Canada, Wayne and Hayley and as excitement grows leading into 2010, we couldn't think of a better way to celebrate our favourite winter sport."

Samsung today launched a website (http://www.samsung.com/laceup) where parents/legal guardians can go online and, in 300 words or less, explain why their child deserves one of the 15 coveted slots. A panel of judges from Samsung and Hockey Canada will review the entries to determine the players that best exemplify Samsung's key hockey values - fair play, team work and skills improvement.

"I'm excited to be teaming with Samsung and Wayne to create this great opportunity for a group of young hockey enthusiasts," said Hayley Wickenheiser. "My involvement in and passion for the sport have offered me so many incredible opportunities, not the least of which has been representing my country on the world stage. I hope my involvement in this camp will help spark that competitive fire and desire to lead in the next generation of Canadian hockey stars."

Along with the contest, the Samsung Hockey Camp for Kids website will strive to make hockey more accessible to unprivileged youth. Visitors to the site are encouraged to click and donate, with funds raised going to Hockey Canada's "Dream Come True" community initiative. Through this program, underprivileged kids across Canada will be able to discover the excitement of the game by receiving a fully-funded season of hockey, complete with new equipment from head to toe. For every dollar donated during the entry portion of the contest, Samsung will match the amount, to a maximum of $10,000.

The Samsung Hockey Camp for Kids contest website is currently accepting entries. The contest closes on November 2, 2009 at 11:59:59 ET. The winners and one parent/guardian will be flown to Calgary where the camp will take place in late November. For additional contest rules and regulations, please visit http://www.samsung.com/laceup.

About Samsung Electronics Canada Inc.

Samsung Electronics Canada, Inc. (SECA), a wholly owned subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., markets a broad range of award-winning digital consumer electronics, information systems, telecommunications and home appliance products.

SECA upholds Samsung's mission to provide consumers with innovative digital convergence products that possess exceptional technology, quality, features, performance and value. The company oversees the Canadian operations of Samsung's consumer electronics and home appliance division, as well as its wireless terminals and information technology division.

Samsung has been a global TOP sponsor of the Olympic Games since 1997 and has been a presenting sponsor of the Olympic Torch Relay from 2004 to 2008. Also through Samsung's Four Seasons of Hope charity, Samsung helps athletes and celebrities raise funds for their respective charities, including the Wayne Gretzky Foundation in Canada. Samsung is also a proud sponsor of Hockey Canada, Stars on Ice, Toronto Football Club and is the official HDTV sponsor of the NFL.

For customer service inquiries, please call 1-800-SAMSUNG (1-800-726-7864), and for more information, please visit http://www.samsung.com.

For further information: Scott MacFadyen, Jennifer Stein, APEX Public Relations for Samsung Electronics of Canada, Phone: (416) 924-4442 ext. 243, 227, E-Mail: smacfadyen@apexpr.com, jstein@apexpr.com